Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Should I get Plasma or LCD?

best 46 led tv under 800
 on ... about Sony Bravia KDL-46HX800 46
best 46 led tv under 800 image



kaylee2707


I would like to buy a new TV for my living room. At least 46", 1080p. I don't want to spend more than $900, under $800 would be even better. We mostly use our TV for playing PS3, watching blu-ray movies and HD tv. We only have one large window, with blackout curtains. So the lighting can be controlled, but I don't want to have to sit in the dark to watch-- which makes me leary of plasma. Also because I heard plasma can have the "ghosting" effect when gaming. So which should I go for? Any advice? TIA.


Answer
I have a 50" Plasma, 2 42" LCDs, and a 55" LED. The LED obviously has the best picture quality and is non reflective. As for the plasma and lcd, I would say plasma has a much richer picture and deeper blacks which makes movies look awesome, especially blu-rays. As for the ghosting on gaming, what happens is sometimes still pictures like your life meter on a game or another image that doesn't move much tends to "burn" in the picture, which means if the picture changes you will still be able to see a "ghost" image of what was previously there. This also happens if for example you pause a movie and leave it like that for let's say 15 mins. On the LCD this is not an issue at all, but the picture quality isn't as great as the plasma. Don't get me wrong, movies still look awesome on an LCD. To me I would say it's all about the location of the TV. My samsung plasma has a TERRIBLE light reflection problem. I literally have to turn off every light on the living room and it's surroundings because I will be able to see some reflection on the screen. Also be aware that some LCD's have a glossy panel so be careful. Anyways, my overall vote would go for the LCD because its non reflective capabilities and no burn in issue definitely overcomes the better plasma picture quality.

What LCD TV should I choose? How important is LED backlighting?




M Guy


Looking to spend about 800-1400 on an LCD TV, from 37-47". Looking for the best combination of anti-blurring, contrast ratio, and response time. Just when I thought I had my decision figured out... I started to look into LED backlit LCDs, and I was back to square one...

Basically, looking for 120Hz+ (probably 240?), good response time (for sports/video games), and of course, the best possible contrast ratio. Is it worth "sacrificing a few hz" to get an LED backlit LCD that fits in my price range instead? Any specific tv recommendations?

I am aware that Plasmas shine in all three of the areas that I named. However, I primarily plan on using my TV to play video games, watch sports, and, eventually, as a 'monitor' for my next pc. I am under the impression that plasmas, although better in recent years, are known for burn in, and while a plasma may survive playing video games and having sports cast logos without getting burn in, it most likely will not survive a 'start menu' haha. If this is wrong, correct me. Otherwise... help me choose an LCD TV please!



Answer
LCDs suffer from motion blur (ghost trails). This compensated for with 120Hz and 240Hz sets. This helps a lot for sure, but its not 100%. Because of differences in response time usually, quite often 120Hz or 240Hz will be about the same in quality (depending on the brand and models you are comparing). Like Sony might have a 120Hz set with a 5ms response time and then a 240Hz set with a 8ms response time. So I don't expect the 240Hz set to be twice as good in dealing with motion blur, its a more complicated landscape.

CCFL (majority) LCDs deliver somewhat muted colors, sometimes grey blacks, and so-so contrast. This was dealt with the release of the LED LCD. The LED backlight provides more vivid colors, truer blacks, and superior contrast. It gets an LCD in the ballpark of DLP, CRT, and Plasma. But its a HUGE price premium. Is it worth it? 100% depends on your eyes. For some the difference makes it mandatory. For others, the difference isn't worth the cost. Go to a store and look at it and decide, don't worry about it at a technical level.

Plasmas from better manufacturers don't really suffer burn-in anymore. Panasonic and Samsung models even have additional anti-image retention features above and beyond the inherent improvements in the technology. Just don't game on it for the first 20-50 hours. And keep the brightness and contrast cranked way down for the first 100-200 hours. Then game away and enjoy.

I know loads of gamers who own Plasmas. Just don't leave your game on pause (if you need to pause or leave the room, shut off the TV while the console is still on then). Using it to watch movies off your PC, no big deal. to use it as your PC monitor, where you'll have a lot of static image, okay that I might not recommend.

With your budget, right now from Best Buy,

Panasonic TC-P42U1 - 42" 1080p Plasma - $850 (reg)
Panasonic TC-P42S1 - 42" 1080p Plasma - $1000 (reg)
- better contrast
Panasonic TC-P46S1 - 46" 1080p Plasma - $1300 (reg)
Samsung LN40B630 - 40" 1080p 120Hz - $950 on sale
Sharp Aquos LC46D85U - 46" 1080p 120Hz - $1000 on sale

Samsung UN40B6000VFXZA - 40" 1080p 120Hz LED - $1600 on sale - above your budget I know, but $500 off, pretty good sale

I passed some decent looking LG ones as well. If you're really heavy into the gaming maybe look into those. I think LG might have some HDTVs that are actually 2.4ms response times. I can't recall which models though, but you could figure that out from their site I'm sure.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I get Plasma or LCD?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment