Friday, May 16, 2014

Is more electricity consumed when you elevate the volume of a tv or stereo?




001218


I have a 90 watt stereo and have always wondered if it uses more energy when playing music loud. The same applies to other devices. Is there a direct relationship between decibels and electricity?


Answer
There is, but the difference is more theoretical than practical. In terms of any difference on your power bill, you're really not going to see anything.

In U.S. systems, a 90 watt device draws less than one additional amp, above the idle state, on audio peaks from a standard 15 amp household electrical circuit, and such peaks are obviously not constant. So "more electricity?" Basically, yes, but not enough to matter.

Running a 90-watt amp full bore can cause other issues like damaged eardrums and pictures falling off the wall, but that doesn't significantly affect your power load unless you're doing something really odd like a constant, unchanging tone that keeps the amp on max output for a lengthy period.
--------------------
Followup for #1 Mom: that TV guy is leading you astray. If you bought a conventional LCD set (not LED), the backlight is a fluorescent lamp that will eventually burn out. Leaving a TV on full time actually made sense 40 years ago with all-tube TVs (the worst thing you can do to a vacuum tube is turn it on), but that's not true with a TV that has no tubes. If you're not going to watch your flatscreen for maybe 30 minutes or more, I'd definitely be turning it off.

Can I use a 7A power cable for a device with a 9A requirement without breaking either of them?




Xealot 129


I bought a TV and it requires 9 amps but it didn't include the cable. I have a 7 amp cable that fits, but I don't want to damage the TV. All the cables at stores around me don't fit well. Could I get away with just using this one for a couple days until the right one arrives in the mail? I can imagine that it wouldn't give me reliable power, but I don't really care about that, I just don't want to damage the power supply of the TV. Thanks in advance.
I bought a TV and it requires 9 amps but it didn't include the cable. I have a 7 amp cable that fits, but I don't want to damage the TV. All the cables at stores around me don't fit well. Could I get away with just using this one for a couple days until the right one arrives in the mail? I can imagine that it wouldn't give me reliable power, but I don't really care about that, I just don't want to damage the power supply of the TV. Thanks in advance.

its a viore LCD32VH56 and the specs on the default power cable are 110/240 volts, 9 amps



Answer
You have a TV that draws 9 amps from a 117 v.a.c. power line? That's roughly a kilowatt. You could run three 55-inch LED sets for that, with power to spare.

Or does your TV operate from a 12-volt d.c. source, like for a boat or RV? That would make more sense, 108 watts total. In that case, using the wrong power cable could be at least a theoretical hazard. I'd wait for the proper cable.

If you'll update your post with the make and model of your TV and what you're powering it from, you might get a better answer. Your location would also help, at least which country due to different a.c. power systems.
-----------------------
Followup, per your added details: now I get it--you have a power cord that's rated at 7 or 9 amps, not a TV that draws that much. That's entirely different. Your TV/DVD combo will use a maximum of about 150 watts, which means it will draw just a little over one amp. So any power cord you can find that fits properly and is rated at something like 3 amps or more will be fine.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is more electricity consumed when you elevate the volume of a tv or stereo?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment