Tuesday, June 3, 2014

What TV should I buy?




Margaret H


I have a huge old dinosaur Zenith TV that is on the way down. I would like to buy a modern TV, 32", and be able to view Youtube and website programs like on Vimeo on my TV screen, instead of sitting in front of my computer monitor. I have Comcast cable. I am looking at different TVs and there are 720's and 1080's, and as I research, I see some confusing info. If you know what you're talking about, can you advise me please? I thought my husband would get a kick out of watching the SuperBowl on a nice new bigger TV this weekend, but I honestly don't know what to shop for.


Answer
Brands that I like the most and probably from best to least:
- Panasonic, Samsung, LG, Sony, Toshiba, Phillips.
- When you buy a tv, make sure it good and has all the input and outputs that will be needed.

Plasma >=< LED > LCD (LED is the same, but a upgrade from a LCD).
- Best picture quality = Plasma. (Plasma's are not good for bright rooms and the way plasma's are designed don't really need higher refresh rates to fix motion blur = plasma's have little to no motion blur). (LED's are good for bright rooms, but need higher refresh rates to get less motion blur, but higher refresh rates can cause a soap opera effect).
- Best audio quality = Plasma.
- Best energy consumption and environment friendly = LED.
- Best reliability = LED. (Plasma's can have burn in and don't last as long as LED's).

1920x1080 resolution or higher resolution is good (1920*1080=2,073,600 pixels).
- 1080 resolution is better than 720 resolution.
- Bigger tv's are better with 1080 than 720 (If the tv is around 32 inches or less I would go with 720, any bigger I would just want a 1080 especially for tv's that are over 42 inches).
- Farther you sit away from the tv means it's better to go with 1080 than 720 (If you watch more than 6 feet away from your tv, then I definitely would go with 1080).

Progressive scan > interlaced scan.
- Progressive scanning is a way of displaying, storing, or transmitting moving images in which all the lines of each frame are drawn at the same time.
- Interlaced scanning is a way of displaying, storing, or transmitting moving images in which all the odd lines of a frame is displayed first then all the even lines of a frame is displayed second.
- Example: 1080p > 1080i
- Example: 720p > 720i
- Example: 1080i > 720p (because more resolution is better for slower passed videos).
- Example: 720p > 1080i (because fast pass videos you be better off with progressive scan).

FPS = frames per second (of a video).
- Frame rate is how many individual images are displayed in a second. Think of a video as a fast moving flip book.
- NTSC countries use 30p or 60i fps.
- PAL countries use 24p/25p or 50i fps.

Hz = refresh rate (of a tv).
- Example: A tv with a 120hz refresh rate, meaning it refreshes the entire tv screen 120 times a second, some tv's use black light scanning.
- Another way is to have a computer program in the television digitally analyze concurrent frames and use the data to create intermediary frames. The insertion of these frames is called interpolation and they are what cause the soap opera effect.
- Many vendors allow viewers to turn off interpolation and force the television to repeat the same frame a number of times or use a more traditional 3:2 or 2:3 pulldown. This creates a more cinematic effect.

For NTSC countries:
- Example: To display 30 frames per second on a TV with a 120 hz refresh rate, each frame is repeated 4 times every 30th of a second.

For PAL countries:
- Example: To display 24 frames per second on a tv with a 120hz refresh rate, each frame is repeated 5 times every 24th of a second.

When the frame rates of a video cannot not divide into the refresh rate of a tv equally like the above examples, there is more math to it and there is 3:2 or 2:3 pull downs.

I am still new to 3d tv's, ill have to get into them as well and I am not really a fan of 3d tv's anyways.
- All I can say for now is I only like it for very slow moving scenes.

I am not really a fan of projectors either.

Plasma, LCD, LED TVs?




Josh


I'm looking to buy a 50"+ TV for my parents. I cannot believe how difficult it is to make a decision on what to get.

From what I can tell, an LED TV is basically the same as LCD, just it uses LED for back lighting. Cool idea, but it jacks the price up a bit from the standard LCD and I can't imagine it would add enough of a performance increase to justify the additional cost.

Therefore I am focusing on LCD and Plasma.

My parents will have this TV in their living room which gets plenty of light -- I've read that Plasma TVs are hard to see in the light so that makes me think that LCD is probably the way to go?

The main thing that scares me from Plasma is the thought of burn in. I've had enough computer monitors over the year with burn in -- I don't want to be seeing sports/news/ticker ghosts when I go home during holidays.

Any comments? Thanks



Answer
You are correct in that LED is just a lighting source change for LCD HDTVs. The quality difference can be quite substantial. But is it worth the cost? That's a personal choice that's different for everyone. But the image difference is rather noticeable.

Plasmas are more reflective than LCDs, yes. But modern ones also have far better anti-reflective screens than the original ones did (which gave it its reputation). And LCDs aren't completely devoid of issues against light, they might just be a bit better than Plasma. If there's too much light, it needs to be blocked, LCD won't save you.

Modern Plasmas don't suffer burn-in. Especially something from Panasonic. They have additional anti-image retention features above and beyond the advances in the technology. Its more myth now that anything else.

If you are concerned though (as some people still are), just condition the Plasma TV. For the first 100-200 hours of use, keep the brightness and contrast cranked down. Then do the optimizations for the TV. And don't let them tilt it (it must always be upright, no exceptions).

Plasma has a near instantaneous response time (0.001ms). It plays back fast motion flawlessly. This is inherent to the technology, so nothing extra to pay for.

LCDs have slower response times and suffer from motion blur issues. They try to help this with 120Hz/240Hz refresh rate options. But those are premium features YOU are expected to pay for. And they aren't 100%.

Plasmas deliver vivid colors, true blacks, and deep contrast. Again, inherent to the technology. So it comes like that out of the box, nothing extra to pay for.

CCFL LCDs (most) can sometimes suffer from muted colors, grey blacks, and weaker contrast. So this is fixed with the LED LCD. As mentioned it makes a big difference. But as you've seen they charge you a tone of money for it.

I would recommend a Panasonic Viera Plasma hands down, period. Look at the TC-P50S1 or TC-P50G10 options. The G10 adds more contrast basically. Both are 1080p. The G10 model is on for $1,100 on Amazon right now. That's a pretty sweet price for a top of the line 50" HDTV.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What TV should I buy?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment