Friday, March 14, 2014

Do Led tvs have less motion blur than LCD?




Megan


I have been playing my xbox 360 on an older model non hdtv. I finally decided to upgrade to an Hd model and bought an Emerson LCD. When I began testing it out it looked beautiful, then I moved my character. The whole screen seemed to blur up every time I moved. After just a few minutes of playing I feel kind of queasy. I was wondering if an LED tv would have less blur, or should I just go back to my old tv if I dont want to get motion sick?


Answer
You can try things like playing in game mode and setting your xbox to output your tv's native resolution. But here's the answer to your question:
Continuing from ioerr's answer, it's not the backlight (led or fluorescent) that determines motion blur, it's how fast the lcd pixels can change from letting a little light through, to letting a lot through. This is called response time. There are some tricks with leds to improve it like flashing them on and off rapidly but how bad the motion blur is, is really determined by the tv model. In Jessica Timms' answer, she probably has a higher end tv and that's why the motion blur is better, not because it's an led.

Of course, led tvs tend to be more expensive so the manufacturer is more likely to spend more time on improving specs like motion blur. So it's one of those things where it ends up being true, but not for the reason you think :) Response time has improved a lot over the years and I've seen lcd (led or not) tvs with no noticeable motion blur. I don't know how good a reputation Emerson has for this problem. It might be the brand or your specific model.

Another thing often mentioned with motion blur is increased refresh rate like 120hz or 240hz. It's supposed to improve motion blur but it's really more of an effect on film judder (film judder is slight choppiness from trying to make film's 24 frames per second fit into tv's 30 or 60. They all fit evenly into 120). Some manufacturers and tv owners say it makes the motion blur less noticeable. If that's true, it's good since perception is everything. But I think it's better to just have a tv with better response time.

Plasma tvs don't have noticeable motion blur so that might be a better option for what you need. They do have their own problems of course. They're darker and lose more brightness over time, they're more vulnerable to screen burn-in (better than it used to be but still there), they run hotter and use more electricity, etc. There are lots of pro/con lists on the internet. Any hd tv can have input lag problems too: the time between sending a signal to the tv (like a controller button press) and when it shows up on the screen. So that's something else to think about for gaming. Good old crt is sounding pretty nice right now, huh? :)

So I guess my advice, if you decide to change your tv, is to read reviews and look at the tvs on display in stores and try to find one with decent motion blur. Sorry this was so long, ha.

LED Tv question (motion blur?)?




Trevor


Tv: brand new out of the box Vizio M470VSE

Specs that may be relevant to issue:
- refresh rate: 120hz
- tv type: LED

I'm having two issues and need to know how to fix them (go into the settings or return the product kinda thing)

PROBLEM 1: Im noticing something that i'll call motion blur. This only occurs during fast pace seens, i usually see it during fighting seens in movies, sometimes when someone is running it kinda appears that their outline faintly appears behind them. Is there a way to fix this?

PROBLEM 2: Lag. I enjoy playing my playstation 3, black ops. however i have noticed a slight lag between controller and tv. Some are telling me its because of the high refresh rate. That the PS3 can only output 60hz instead of the 120hz. Is there a way for me to improve the lag?
Answer#1: I just went through my settings, i cannot find either of those
Also Answer #1: When I go to <menu> then hit <picture> I get the basic settings to adjust such as (brightness, contrast, sharpness, color and tint). I also have presets that range from "vivid", "normal", "rich" etc; Now when i go to advanced (which is where i presume the settings your suggesting would be, i get (noise reduction which is set to "low", Mpeg NR which is also set to "low", color enhancement which is "normal", adaptive luma which is "medium", film mode which is "off", back light control which is "off" and ambient light sensor which is also set to off. any more ideas as to what to check??

P.S. im not sure if this is relevant but im using an HDMI cord aswell. i believe its a 3.0 cord.
Answer#2: I still can't seem to find the Smooth Motion effect.

Here are my options under ADVANCED PICTURE:
noise reduction
Mpeg NR
Color enhancement
Adaptive luma,
film mode
back light control
ambient light sensor



Answer
Motion blur is an artifact inherent to the technologies slow response time. You can turn up the refresh rate of the display to combat it, but then you will loose the film "feel" of the movie and everything starts to look like a soap opera. Kind of like it was shot with a camcorder.

For the gaming lag you need to do the opposite. You need to turn off the higher refresh rate to eliminate any extra processing the TV is doing. More processing means more time until you see it. You can also turn on "game" or "entertainment" mode to help reduce this even further.

Game mode on your TV is one of the options in the picture menu ( standard, movie, game, vivid)

The adjustment for motion blur is in the advanced picture options menu. It's called smooth motion effect on your TV. Use off for gaming and set to taste for everything else.

Hope that helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Do Led tvs have less motion blur than LCD?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment