Sunday, September 15, 2013

thinking about working with children..... ?

best led tv deals australia
 on Who Has The Best Value Iphone 5 Deal In Australia Gizmodo Australia ...
best led tv deals australia image
Q. so, im 14 and a freshman in High school.. people keep telling me i need to decide soon what i want to do career wise so we can focus most of my schoolwork aroud that interest. right now im babysitting a little girl whenever her parents go out and im watching about 8 kids with 2 of my friends every wednesday at church for an hour. i love both animals and kids, so i was thinking about maybe having a horse riding stable for disabled or problemed kids/teens. but i know thats a little unrealistic.
if i dont get to work with horses or any animals i can always own them and just have them as my hobby.

my question is, what job could i have that involves kids... but isnt teaching?
any age, but preferably 6yrs and younger.

**im probably asking this in multiple sections, so if you see it twice that why ;) **


Answer
I actually don't think your dream of having a therapeutic riding centre is unrealistic at all ;-)

I would just do some things like getting work experience in the area so you could see if you like it or not. It is very rewarding, but can also be physical assisting riders to stay balanced and on a horse.

Work experience could lead to volunteering and even working in the field, this would enable you to see what type of demand there is for it and if you could make a living.

However your quite right about being able to still have your animals if you don't end up working with horses. I was burnt out from jobs involving horses, physically and emotionally. Many horse related jobs are hard work and little pay. I lived in caravans and pretty ordinary places that bosses provided.

My last straw was a stable hand position with one of Australia's Olympic riders 15 years ago, big flash warmbloods and lots of fancy shows. But behind the scenes we were living in a caravan, 2 girls handling 40 horses, you got 30 minutes for lunch and that was it. I was burned out from working 5am until 8pm seven days a week. We hardly got any riding or lesson time, which was supposed to be part of the deal. Exhausted I came down sick one day, packed my car and never went back.

After that I went into customer service and quickly became a manager (which still surprised me LOL) I went from mucking out stables to management in 1.5 years.

When I moved to my husbands farm I got a very good government job and progressed quickly there also. It was a blessing in disguise, because I was able to have my horses at home and earn enough money to be able to enjoy them. Suddenly I could afford a new rug or bridle and life was not so much of a struggle.

Of track as usual (LOL). The reason I answered was because I thought you might enjoy the field of special needs aide. My disabled daughter has a full time aide with her at school all day. They are the most wonderful and caring people I have ever met. It takes a special person to have the kindness, compassion, empathy and patience to work with special needs children.

The work can range from a child who just needs assistance with school work at the desk, to a high needs child like mine who needs full care. There are many levels of care needed and most schools don't require special qualifications.

My other thought is, not to rule in or out things based on what you will do when your married with children. Simply because things change so very much. I did not want any children and now I have 4 beautiful girls and would love more (but we are not ;-)

You might be living in a wonderful small town and may be happy to send your kids to school, you could be the teacher at that school or your future partner may not think that home schooling is appropriate and you both compromise? Many variables and we could guess all day ;-)

"IF" you were interested in teaching it could lead to other job opportunities from home or part time when you do have children. Like even tutoring from home.

Or you can go the other way and get your business qualifications so you could operate a small business (or large) if you were to open up a riding centre or some other sort of business.

I focused my whole 2 senior years on marketing, promotions, management, graphic design and horses. I originally wanted to be a marketing manager or architect.

And although I have not ended up in either of these jobs, I do use the skills often. I was the publicity officer for my hockey association for 3 years. Writing all of the newspaper articles each week, conducting TV interviews etc. I was the publicity and promotions officer for the polocrosse club for 2 years.

Each of those positions led me to learn and gain more skills and it all just snowballed into positives ;-) I still use my skills in any correspondence I do now and they were wonderful opportunities for me.

Another thought while writing this is an Occupational Therapist. My daughters OT helps with our riding therapy at home sometimes because she has horses and understands the benefits of riding from her knowledge of the body and how it functions. An OT is another job you could do from home if you ever needed to ;-)

I would not be too concerned if your not 100% sure on which direction to take. You seem like a very sensible young person who will be a successful member of society in any field of work you do.

Good luck ;-)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: thinking about working with children..... ?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment