Saturday, January 18, 2014

Should I get a projector or tv for my home theater?

led tv viewing distance
 on ... Series (4K TV) : BRAVIA HD TV (LED TV & LCD TV) : Sony Asia Pacific
led tv viewing distance image



the man


I'm building a home theater with surround sound and whatnot, I just need the main part now. I can't decide whether to buy a HD projector or TV. I've heard that the display qualities of the projectors are lower than that of TV's in general, but others say that it's just because the screen is so large. I want to be able to mount the screen in front of a TV so I can watch the news without feeling like I need to get popcorn, so is there a way to mount it from a stand or something? I've also heard that the bulbs need replacing every few years for like 400 bucks...

The main question though, is quality. Compared to, say, and LED set, does a projector's color and 1080p look as good? Or better?

And which company/price range/model should I stick to?
Thanks @Alex, I have the couch about 15 feet away, and there is a window in the room but I'm probably going to be watching movies at night anyways. I'm mounting the screen in front of the TV so I can retract it when I want to watch other things, thanks a lot!



Answer
The answer does depend on factors like the layout of your room.

Will you be viewing from over 12 feet away?
Can you keep out all external light even during daylight hours?
If the answer to both of these is yes, then a projector may be right for you.

I want the best picture quality I can afford.
I can put furnature wherever gives me the best viewing position.
The answer is probably a TV.

To get a cinematic experience from a TV, you need a very big TV and to sit very close to it.
I've got a 60" plasma and a viewing distance of about 8 feet.
If I view it from 18 feet, you can't tell the difference between HD and SD.
From 8 foot, SD looks rubbish. 1080p looks fantastic though.
From 12 feet both SD and HD are watchable, but it's not as cinematic.

I've painted the wall behind the TV black, so when the lights are out there's no light wash from the wall behind, the picture just floats.

Some projectors are very poor, even the HD ones. You get what you pay for. By the time the bulb goes once or twice you'll probably be considering buying your next upgrade anyway, so don't worry too much about that, just factor it in to the purchase cost decision.

Some 50 inch TVs are very good for a sensible price, but make sure to do your research because there are still a few howlers out there, not all of them the cheapest ones.

Can computer Led/Lcd monitor upscale lower resolution video to fit in higher resolution screen?




ANTIMATTER


Ok it's probably a noob question.

As far as I know HD led/lcd tvs can upscale lower resolution game video/frames(ps3 xbox 360) to fit the whole screen.

So I need to know can computer monitor with hd resolution support (1920x1080) upscale 1360x768p resolution game video/frames to fit the whole screen?Or I need to play at native 1920x1080p resolution so that the monitor can fill the whole screen?Is there any special type or model of any Lcd/Led monitor that can upscale Pc game's frames from lower resolution to fit the whole screen?Is this any special feature for computer Led/Lcd monitor?If so what is this feature is called/named?Do different manufacturers lcd monitor have different names of this feature?

the reason I am asking is because I play at 1360x768p resolution on 16 inches lcd monitor and now I am thinking about updating to a 1920x1080p monitor.But if I play at 1360x768p resolution will there be blank spaces around the edges of monitor screen or the monitor will upscale the game frames to fit the whole screen ?
ok those blank bars do make me feel the monitor is not used to it's full potential

kind of makes the monitor feel empty and game screen with black bars also feels

quite weird to me.

So what is the aspect ratio of 1360x768 resolution 16:9 or 16:10?Will it upscale and fit to 1920x1080 resolution monitor or leave blank bars outside the game frame?



Answer
1360x768 is 1.7708333 ratio. 1920x1080 is 1.777777 ratio. Very close.
16:10 is 1.6 ratio. 16:9 is 1.77777 ratio. As you can see, the 16:9 ratio screen best fits both the resolutions you are trying for.
But there is a cost to upscaling. Since you cannot manufacture greater detail out of a lower resolution signal like 1360x768, what upscaling does is to add in duplicated pixels every so often. Since there are (1920-1360 = 560) more pixels to put into the picture, that means somehow those 560 pixels are added over the spread of 1920 pixels. About every 3.42 pixels another one is added. Actually it goes 3,3,4,3,4,3,3,4,3,4 etc. As you can see, a lot of duplicates are added. The resolution is not any better. It is just expanded to cover greater area of screen. It does get fuzzier if you compare side by side. But you are supposed to view from a greater distance so you will not notice.
And, I think the standard is 1366x768, not 1360x768. That gives a 1.7786 ratio.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I get a projector or tv for my home theater?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment