Thursday, November 21, 2013

Is there any way to make the picture fill my TV screen automatically?

led tv aspect ratio
 on Home � Home Theater � TV Mounts � Ceiling TV Mounts
led tv aspect ratio image



Nathan


I have an Insignia 26" LED TV. I have a Motorola cable box from Comcast with their most basic package. I can only make the picture fill the entire screen by manually adjusting the aspect ratio as needed based on what I'm watching. For example, I'm watching 16:9 content right now. If I set it to auto, I have black all around the screen. If I set it to wide ("for watching widescreen 16:9 content"), the picture is stretched horizontally only, leaving black bars on the top and bottom. The only way to fill the screen is to set it to Zoom. However if I change the channel or pull up the guide, the top and bottom of the picture may be cut off, forcing me to change the aspect ratio again. If I set the aspect ratio to Auto, it basically sets itself to Normal (4:3) permanently, leaving black bars on the left and right, and sometimes on the top and bottom as well. Also, I can only set the aspect ratio to Auto if the Auto Zoom option is turned on in the Channels menu.

Call me ignorant, but I thought the Auto setting was supposed to do all of this for me. I have a feeling this may have something to do with the signal going through the cable box before getting to the TV. I can't think of any other details to give. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could provide a solution.



Answer
Short answer:
- The problem is the aspect ratio of the comcast/cable box uses and does not match the aspect ratio of your tv.
- When the cable box AR does not match the AR of the tv, the pixels will stretch or squash to fill the entire screen of the tv when resizing the aspect ratios.
- If you don't want the picture to stretch or squash, but instead keep the OAR, you have to live with the black bars =normal, not fullscreen.(Zooming/pan&scan, will cut off the picture which is even worse in my opinion).
= You want the AR of the cable box be the same AR the tv uses to keep the OAR.

Long answer:

You need to know these terms first:
- AR = Aspect ratio and EX = Example and RES = resolution. (*=multiply and /=divide).
- PAR = Pixel Aspect Ratio. (It's the AR of the pixel size in a resolution).
- SAR = Stored/sample Aspect Ratio. (It's the AR of the video's input resolution = video your playing).
- DAR = Disyplay Aspect Ratio. (It's the AR of the video's output resolution = your video screen).
- MAR = Modified Aspect Ratio. (It's when the SAR is changed to fit the DAR = MAR).
- OAR = Original Aspect Ratio. (It's when the DAR is the same as the SAR = same PAR even after a MAR = OAR).

"Previous and currently used aspect ratios." section.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_%28image%29#4:3_standard

How to calcualte RES to get AR? How to use AR with either width or height to calculate my RES?
- EX: ?x480 RES at a 4:3 AR = 480*4=1920/3 = 640x480 (640/480 RES or 4/3 AR = â1.33:1).
- EX: 640x? RES at a 4:3 AR = 640*3=1920/4 = 640x480 (640/480 RES or 4/3 AR = â1.33:1).
- EX: ?x480 RES at a 16:9 AR = 480*16=7680/9 = â854x480 (â854x480 RES or 16/9 = â1.77:1).
- EX: 854x? RES at a 16:9 AR = 854*9=7680/16 = 854xâ480 (â854x480 RES or 16/9 = â1.77:1).

How to calculate how many pixels my resolution uses?
- EX: HD is 1920*1080 = 2,073,600 pixels.
- (4*pixels of HD = 4K UHD) and (16*pixels of HD = 8k UHD) and (4*pixels of 4k UHD = 8K UHD).

How to calculate my PAR with a fraction calculator?
- PAR = DAR/SAR.
- EX: DAR (16:9) / SAR (16:9) = PAR (1:1).
- Ex: DAR (1920x1080) / SAR (1920x1080) = PAR (1:1).
How to calculate my PAR without a fraction calculator?
- PAR = DAR*SAR.
- EX: DAR (4:?) * SAR (?:15) = 60 and DAR (?:3) * SAR (22:?) = 66 = 60:66 (simplify this fraction) = PAR (10:11).
- EX: DAR (640x?) * SAR (?x480) = 307,200 and DAR (?x480) * SAR (704x?) = 337,920 = 307,200:337,920 (simplify this fraction) = PAR (10:11).

How to calculate my DAR with a fraction calculator?
- DAR = SAR*PAR.
- EX: SAR (4:3 AR or 640x480 RES) * PAR (1:1) = DAR (4:3 AR or 640x480 RES).
- EX: SAR (704:?) * PAR (10:?) = 7040 and SAR (?:480) * PAR (?:11) = 5280 = 7040/5280 = DAR (â1.33 = 4:3).

You probably wondering what the point all this math means.
- 1:1 PAR means square pixels and square pixels happens when you have the same SAR and resize it to the same DAR = you keep the OAR.
- When you keep the OAR, the DAR image will have a equal stretch/squash on the pixels to fill the screen = fullscreen with OAR.
- Anything other than 1:1 PAR means some sort of rectangle pixels and rectangle pixels happen you have the SAR and resize it to a different DAR = you don't keep the OAR.
- When you don't keep the OAR, the DAR image will have a unequal stretch/squash on the pixels to fill the screen in full screen mode = that's why there is a need for letterboxing to keep the OAR because the image will be smaller but look correctly on your screen.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-definition_television
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions
- http://renomath.org/video/linux/aspect/
- http://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1992719/par.jpg

How do i view all the movies full screen on my LED TV?




hashif m


I have a 46 inch Samsung LED TV, when i play movies some movies come full screen on my TV and some does not..i tried the setting on my TV and if i stretch it then it doesnt look good..does this depend on the input from the DVD player or the format of the DVD...can anyone answer this for me please...


Answer
old movies wont play in full will have black bars on the sides because they have aspect ratio (width/height) of 4:3 and your TV has that of 16:9 , not an issue :)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is there any way to make the picture fill my TV screen automatically?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment