Friday, January 24, 2014

Does society in general "feel" more fast paced now than it did in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s?

best led tv may 2013
 on Best Smart TV - Best Deals On TVs - Cheap LED TV
best led tv may 2013 image



James


I'm 20 years old, and in recent years I have felt that life and society in general are "speeding up." It's hard to explain, and since I'm younger my memories may be incorrect, but from what I remember from growing up as a child in the 90s, life was so much simpler back then. Many people I knew were luckily to have cable and almost nobody had internet. We considered the Game Boy Color to be technologically advanced. When we left the house and our parents didn't hear from us for a few hours, they didn't freak out because nobody had cell phones. However, I just feel that things are so different now from the world I grew up in. Kids these days are in to iPads, iPhones, iMacs, Playstations, Xboxes, and the like, and they are all connected through social media. This has led to problems like "cyberbullying," which was completely inconceivable when I was growing up because not many people had computers with Internet service. But now, everybody has Internet, Facebook, email, etc. and many people (including myself) have a smartphone that enables constant access and connection to the internet at any time and in any place. Gone are the carefree days when I didn't have to worry about always keeping in constant contact with people, because in our connected digital world, there is an inherent expectation of constant communication between individuals and people start to worry if you haven't texted or called them back after a few hours.

In addition to the huge proliferation in mobile/communications technology that I feel has changed the world, I also feel that the sociopolitical climate of society in general is getting more complex. In the past 10 years or so, I feel that the world has taken on a more anxious pace because of scary things that are in the news. It seems like nobody trusts anybody anymore, and all you hear about on the news are negative things about current events, politics, foreign affairs, etc.

Overall, I'm asking this question because I would love to get the opinion of someone who has been around much longer than I have. Obviously all the observations that I have written about above could be simply due to the fact that I'm paying attention to the world more as I grow up, so I would love to hear from someone who has been grown up for awhile. Do you feel like the world is getting faster paced? What was the world like when you were in your 20s? Was the world you grew up in as a child different than the world we live in today? If it was, do you feel like our society is changing for better or for worse?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my question!



Answer
I agree with the assessments in your post.

Me: Born in 1964.

~ We didn't even have a TV until maybe around 1970. That was a big deal. A tiny little black-and-white TV ... which didn't even work (lol). Dad spent a good hour or so trying to adjust the 'rabbit ears' antenna to get one of the few over-the-air stations. (There was of course no cable TV back then.) I could tell Dad was a little 'irked' that his purchase of a TV didn't work out that night. Eventually we got it to work or he figured it out.

~ Entertainment when I was a kid in the 1970's?
Some of the best memories of my life. Merely sitting on the front porch with my Mom at night having root beer floats and looking at the stars. More awesome than any TV show. I was still only 10 at that point so I wore my 'security blanket' when sitting out on the porch.

~ Mid 1970's. I started becoming aware. Vietnam War. President Nixon resigning. President Carter and gasoline shortages, etc. However, in those days, people didn't lock their house doors, at least not in our neighborhood. (Well, sure we would lock the doors at night, but generally it was a sense of "My house is your house." back then.)

~ 1980's: High-school and my drug and alcohol use 'experimentation' phase began.
It was fun ... and yes, that's when things started 'speeding up' for me.

~ 1983: Graduated HS and went to college. Great times. Started getting great job offers, so I did both jobs and college at the same time.

~ 1990's: Internet starts appearing but is still kind of lame (or at least I didn't take too much interest in it). At that point I was mainly working at jobs. (Still drinking, but the drug experiments were becoming less frequent.) Time didn't seem to be moving too fast for me in the 90's. I had a good job and several close friends, who I am still close friends with to this day ... even though we no longer even live in the same city.

~ 2000: That's when it seemed to me that 'corporate America' took over. My 'good jobs' sort of turned into nightmares where I was expected to do 60 hours of work for 28 hours of pay. This wasn't good for me, of course. I sort of withdrew from the workplace. (Luckily I had made and saved great money in those prior decades which allowed me to basically retire.) That decade went by fast.

~ So now ... here we are at the close of 2013. I just turned 49 last month. Things are good; I have a great place and a small group of close friends (a few of whom go back to HS in 1983, in particular one of them, but that's my personal story). Time does kind of seem to be going fast again now (after all, when one thinks about turning 50 soon, one realizes that one no longer has 'all the time in the world').

~~~~~~
Society changing for better or worse?
I'd probably say it's changing for the worse currently. Too much attention on technology and these 'wars' in foreign countries that go on for decades that do nothing but put trillions of dollars into the military-industrial complex mega-corporations (like former Vice-President D. Cheney's Halliburton Corporation ;)

I don't have a smart phone, nor do I want one. I don't need to have an internet connection at all times. (I do have one of those what are called 'candy bar' cell phones. That's all I need. It works perfect. It's a phone, not my life! lol.)

Tomb Raider 2013 for Xbox 360 screen size?




Austin


I bought Tomb Raider for xbox 360 yesterday, and the screen size is very small, theres maybe a foot on each side left of television screen it could use but it wont, i went trough the settings on the game to maximize its stretch, then i went through the tv settings and stretched it but the game just has the distorted stretch and still doesn't stretch to the top and bottom, just the left and right sides, any help will be much appreciated.
The tv can fully support 1080p (its brand new) but the thing is i think it is the tv, because this is the first time xbox has been played on it. Its an lcd as well
also it is being connected via HDMI



Answer
it could be your tv is broke taking into consideration that your 100% sure you maximized screen on your tv plus xbox360 setup using a hdmi cable? the in game hud display isnt a screen boost its for graphical positions of interface for game mechanics like weapons display position, what tv do you have? lcd led oled crt old style tv type? and what resolution are you running on your xbox360? im set to hdmi 1080p in xbox360 settings not game setup and my tv is 52kdlx sony which can support 1080p res i havnt tried 1080i or below but it should still be full pixel on tv that can support upto 1080p i should think so. and in game its full pixel all the way. check your tv can support your xbox360 resolution and set the resolution properly in xbox360 settings display, its all i can think off the top. You may have to contact either microsoft xbox live support online and/or tv manufacturer to pin point the exact problem. Hope you get it sorted out.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Does society in general "feel" more fast paced now than it did in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s?
Rating: 98% based on 988 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment